The last Blog Article I wrote (October 18) was on the different ways our bodies can become too acidic. Now you know it’s not just about the food we eat, although that has a lot to do with it, but also the chemical we are exposed to and our attitude towards our own life. Quite a lot to consider really, so I thought I’d write this Bog on ways to achieve a more alkaline system easily at home.
To begin with get yourself a packet of pH sticks for your pharmacy. That way you can test your pH through your saliva whenever you want. Do an experiment and test yourself when you wake up, assuming you wake feeling rested and relaxed. Then, again after a stressful experience or thought.
[private]I would suggest doing a 1-5 days thorough cleanout. The amount of days you decide to do is totally up to you and your body type. I’m used to fasting (I’m on day 2 right now and did 5 days the week before last), and I LOVE it. It does take some getting used to but after the first couple of times you’ll start to look forward to the clarity of thought, lightness of body and all that room in your brain that is accustomed to thinking about food – shopping for food, guilt around food, digesting food and eliminating (hopefully) food. Once you comfortable with the feeling of hunger, it’s easy. I really think that if you can change your attitude about hunger then the cleanse will be so much easier. Hunger isn’t something to be afraid of as many of us in the West are.
You have a few choices for your cleanse. If it’s your first time to de-tox and you’re regularly eating acidic foods, then you may want to start with the Cutting Out Acid-Forming Foods Only Cleanse. You could do this for 4 or 5 days then see how you feel. Amazing no doubt.
Cutting out Acid-Forming food Only Cleanse. All processed, packaged, refined foods, meat, fish, poultry, eggs, grains, and legumes, sugar and artificial sweeteners, soft drinks and caffeine. Include alkaline-forming foods, which will include most fruits, vegetables, peas, beans, lentils, spices, herbs and seasonings, and seeds and nuts. All melons and asparagus are alkalining. Fermented foods are fantastic for our health, and you can include them here. Avoid the ones available in the supermarket unless certified organic. You need them to be made with sea salt not table salt and refined sugar.
If you felt ok on this cleanse, then next time you could move onto the next stage. Which is –
Veggie smoothies only. Add in all your veggie like beetroot, celery, carrot, kale, cabbage, and then supplement it with some turmeric and ginger root, hemp seeds and microalgae. Cacao powder, chia seeds, Gubinge and Camu Camu are also great additions. Add about one teaspoon of each of the supplements Make a couple of litres of this gorgeous smoothie in the morning and drink as much as you want of it throughout the day. Including the supplements will keep your nutrients up so you won’t feel as weak, if at all. (A high- powered blender makes these smoothies much nicer as they completely moosh all the ingredients together to form a smooth smoothie. Using an everyday smoothie will leave you with chunky bits that aren’t so appealing, in my experience.) You can do this for either 4 or 5 days once a season (3 months), or twice a week every week. This is the cleanse I do most regularly.
Liquid only – if you’re going to embark on this then I’d recommend you plan on doing not much else as you’ll likely feel a bit weak and ‘heightened’. You’re going to have a glass of coconut water for breakfast with a glass of water with 2 teaspoons of psyllium husks and 1 tbsp of bentonite clay. (See my last Blog for details.) Lunch is a veggie juice (add some turmeric and ginger when juicing) then afterwards have another glass of the psyllium husk drink and loads of clean water. Dinner is another glass of coconut water and a glass garlic juice (if you can handle it). Make this by putting 3-4 cloves of garlic through your juicer then filling a 100ml glass up with clean, warm water. Yup, that’s right folks and it’s pretty full on. Garlic juice is antifungal and antibacterial.
You can also have some veggie broth for supper and let me tell you, you look forward to this all day and it feels like the best thing you’ve ever eaten. Make the broth by simmering some veggies in a pot of water. Strain, freezing the veggies for post de-tox. I found this exciting (amazing what excites you after a few day with no food) with a pinch of cayenne pepper and a dash of apple cider vinegar.
You’ll need to be taking some supplements on this de-tox. Add 1 tsp of microalgae from a ‘super green’ product to your juice. Adding some Vitamin C in the form of Gubinge or Camu Camu (see my last Blog) is a good idea also. These can be added to the Smoothies in the ‘Veggie Smoothie Only’ de-tox, as well. (Loving Earth does a nice product with these ingredients btw.) Do this for no more than 5 days.
When I do this cleanse, I usually do it in Bali, alone, in a gorgeous apartment overlooking the ocean, in my cosi, reading, writing and meditating. (See my Blog in May titled “My Circuit Breaker’ detailing this experience.) It’s an amazing experience and one I would recommend to anyone who is ready to get to know and experience him or herself at a pretty deep level. I last did this in April and am booked next for 5 days New Year.
– Water. It’s very important that you drink at least 2-3 litres of clean, room temperature water a day. Better still if it’s alkaline water. You may feel nauseous at time – this is a result of the toxins being released, so it’s important to keep drinking water. Yes, you will be peeing a lot.
– Lemon juice and raw honey in warm water, and add the smallest pinch of Himalayan Crystal Salt. Sip on it throughout the day. This is very alkalining and great for your liver. (Honey is the only alkalizing sweetener, though just slightly.)
– Vinegar & Honey. Make a simple mixture of raw vinegar & raw honey. The vinegar must be raw, non-pasteurized, apple cider vinegar as all other vinegars are acid forming. (See my last Blog for details on how to make and dose it.)
– Super Sea Minerals have a lovely product that is super alkalining. http://www.superseaminerals.com.au/shop/skincare/marine-monoatomics-mineral-drink I put one teaspoon in with my water in the morning, but anytime will be fine, and not just when you’re cleansing.
– Green Super-Foods. The enzymes are both anti-mycotoxic (mycotoxins are released when one has a yeast/fungal infections) and antioxidant, while the minerals play an important role in keeping cellular communication. Wheatgrass, barley grass spirulina, and any other micro algae.
– Caffeine. You could start cutting down before you start the cleanse as some people experience terrible headaches from the withdrawal of caffeine. I drink one strong coffee a day and sometime I don’t, but I have never experiences headaches from its withdrawal. We are all very different, so listen to your own body.
– Colonic Irrigation. Have 2 or 3 colonics if you’re cleansing for a week to 10 days; one will do if it’s more like 5 days. Have only one if you’re cleansing for one day only and doing this regularly, and have it done before you start. Be sure to go to a reputable clinic.
– Get to Bed Early, but this will be easy. You’ll be hungry and slow, so sleep is welcomed. You’ll likely be waking up with the sun. Try to do a little physically as possible especially on the stricter cleanse.
– Exercise – I still exercise quite hard whilst I’m doing the ‘Veggie Smoothie Only’ cleanse, but I’m used to it. Usually though by day 3 my legs feel heavy when I’m running/jogging, so then I do a brisk walk instead. When I’m doing the hard core Liquid Only cleanse I do gentle exercises every morning like Qi Gong or gentle yoga and listen to your own body. If I need to stay horizontal then I do. But I tell you, I usually feel so invigorated that I want to do some gentle movements. If you don’t – then don’t.
– Sauna and Infra Red – yes, yes, yes and daily if at all possible. Sweat helps to rid your body of toxins, and particularly for the fat-stored ones, there is no quick and safe way the body can get rid of them other than through sweating. The toxins that are stored in your fat are those that the liver and kidneys can’t cope with. But they can safely be removed by sweat. The time you spend in the sauna depends on the state of your own health and the program you choose. Somewhere between 15 minutes to an hour a day is recommended.
– Parasite Cleanse – you could do this at the same time. Why not, as most of us have one kind of a parasite or another living inside our GUTS. A grose thought I know but a fact all the same. Have some liquid herbs made up with a combo’ of Black Walnut, Cloves and Wormwood. You can have this made at any health food store where there is an herbalist or Naturopath in- store. There are also commercially prepared products with this formula available in health food stores. Don’t expect it to taste nice, at all. The bitterness is the reason it works. Take 5mls, 3 times a day with a little water. If you can stomach it, take it away from anything else –perhaps before bed and then have a big glass of water. Be prepared for frequent trips to the toilet throughout the night to urinate. (In Bali my room is up about 12 very steep stairs.)
– Toxic Chemicals. The fewer the better. These are in your food, body, skin and hair care, as well as in your cleaning products, soft furnishings and computer equipment. The less exposure, the more alkaline your body will be. Regarding food, basically – the more processed a food is the less alkaline it is. Keep indoor plants, as they will help to reduce the chemicals inside your home.
I’ve included a Sample Menu for you whilst you’re on the first cleanse – cutting out the acidic foods only. This is a good way to eat generally and can be had the week after your cleanse – try not to go straight back to your old ways. Keep some of what you’ve learnt in your future routine, that’s part of the point.
You’ll find all of these recipes or something close either in my recipe books, on the Lifestyle Food Channel website and then searching ‘Janella’ or on my Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/JanellaPurcell
Breakfast (choose one)
– Pan-fried tempeh in coconut oil in a toasted nori wrap with toasted sunflower seeds, rocket and avocado. Drizzle with tamari.
– Quinoa porridge cooked with chia seeds, topped with apples and pears that have been stewed with grated turmeric and ginger. Sprinkle with hemp seeds and chopped nuts.
– A Green Smoothie with coconut water, pear or paw paw, lemon juice and a teaspoon of each of hemp and chia seeds, walnuts, micro-algae, maca and raw cacao powder. Also some grated ginger and turmeric.
– My Hemp Crackers (done in the de-hydrator – recipe on my Facebook page) or another ‘seed only’ cracker, lentils, green leafy’s like rocket or baby spinach or mesculin mix, Tahini Dressing, cooked pumpkin, spring onions and coriander.
Lunch (choose one)
– Lentil salad with roasted, steamed or stir fried veggies, Tamari Seeds and leafy greens. Dress with apple cider vinegar and a little sea salt.
– Dahl with veggies on Quinoa with a dollop of coconut yoghurt and hemp seeds.
– Almond Pesto on Steamed Veggies with Chia seeds and baby spinach, and some pan-fried tempeh if you’re hungry.
Dinner (choose one)
– Veggie and Lentil Patties cooked in coconut oil
– Beetroot and Walnut Salad
– Sweet Potato and Roasted Cashews
Snacks (choose one)
– Coconut yoghurt with stewed Fruit and hemp seeds.
– Fresh fruit with raw honey and chopped roasted nuts and seeds.
– Coconut water smoothie with fruit and honey.
– A ‘seed cracker’ or two, with Green Tahini Dressing and roast pumpkin or zucchini (or any veggie raw or cooked) with herbs and Tahini Dressing.
– Lemon and honey water
– Honey and vinegar water
– Herbal teas, as much as you like.
So there it is. Good luck. I know you’ll love it after the first few days, and then after the first cleanse. You’ll feel proud of yourself for achieving this goal and strong in your body because it will be working so much more efficiently. We service our cars and computer, so why not our temples?
I’ll be with you I spirit whilst your cleansing.
In good health and clean body,