PCOS – Polycistic Ovarian Syndrome is characterized by high androgen (testosterone) levels, causing –
– Irregular menstrual cycle, or no cycle
– Hair loss
– Weight gain
– Excess hair growth in all the wrong places
– Blood sugar issues
Helpful Foods and Herbs
- Omega 3 foods ike flax, hemp, chia, sustainably-caught deafood (not tuna due to high mercury levels ands not farmed salmon)
- Spearmint Tea: A study was conducted in Turkey where women with PCOS were advised to drink 2 cups of spearmint tea per day for a month. Androgen levels were significantly lower after a month.
- Saw Palmetto: You may benefit from taking an herb named as Saw Palmetto to help both testosterone levels.
- Fenugreek: This spice promotes glucose metabolism that in turn helps regulate the hormones in your body.
- Licorice: (the real stuff, not the sugary lollie) This root promotes ovulation and inhibits an enzyme required for the production of testosterone.
- Tulsi (Holy Basil) It has anti androgenic properties that also help in managing insulin levels. Just chew upon 8-12 leaves a day, or ask at your health food store.
- Vitex (Chaste Tree) see earlier post.